DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH SCREEN TIME KIDS GET?
Children between 8-18 spend 7 1/2 hours per day on average in front of a screen: watching television, playing video games, or using tablets, computers, or smart phones.
IMPACT OF SCREEN TIME
Decrease in emotional regulation
Decrease in social problem solving
Decrease in ability to sustain attention
Decrease in impulse control
Decrease in complex problem solving ability
How can parents helps?
- Designate media-free times: encourage physical activity away from screens each day.
- Designate media-free locations: remove screens (including TVs) from your child’s bedroom.
- Place consistent limits on time, quality, and type of media used each day.
- Allow kids to be bored — it encourages creativity and problem solving skills.
- Encourage other types of activity that promote creativity, activity, social engagement, fine and gross motor skills (building blocks, board games, card games, arts and crafts, chores: folding clothes, setting the table, cooking)
- Lead by example: limit your own screen time.